Spending money while traveling on business used to involve a whole mess of forms, annoyances and bureaucracy. Fortunately, a new generation of online travel management solutions makes managing business trips easier than ever, increasing control and transparency.
TravelBank is a popular choice of Travel Management Company (TMC) for businesses of all sizes. However, it can be expensive and challenging to implement.
If you’re looking to compare travel providers or consider alternatives to Travelbank, here’s our pick of the top 5 Travelbank alternatives in 2022.
TravelPerk enables you to book travel from the world’s best business travel listings, including flights, trains, hotels and car rentals. Even better, you can book an Airbnb to access unique experiences and exclusive features.
One of the best things about TravelPerk is how it incorporates flexibility, convenience and accessible prices into the platform. The user interface is easy to use and highly intuitive, making booking business travel fast and enjoyable.
Behind the scenes, the system enables users to access the best deals on the market for flights, train travel, hotels and car rentals. It’s easy to plan your entire trip from home to hotel and back – all inside the amazing app.
Finance managers will welcome the ability to incorporate policies and introduce controls to ensure all costs are reasonable and necessary.
While you can do everything online, you can access support in seconds – 15, to be precise. That’s right, the average wait time for a TravelPerk agent is just 15 seconds, putting it ahead of other TravelBank options.
TravelPerk essential features
- Easy to set up with no fixed fees and zero implementation costs.
- For a small additional fee you can add FlexiPerk and get 80% of your booking cost back if you need to cancel for any reason.
- GreenPerk enables you to offset the carbon impact of your business travel, helping to protect the planet.
- Enables you to customize and automate travel policies to maximize compliance.
- Generate automatic expense reports from travel receipts.
- 24/7 customer support is available in English and 9-5 in German and Spanish.
What Reviewers Say:
“I’ve been using TravelPerk for a while and it’s been a great experience. The platform is easy to use and the dashboard is quite easy to navigate. It’s a very convenient way to book corporate flights and hotels.” (Vignette)
“Excellent search and cost functions and quick accurate communication when making changes – great service!!” (Dave Johnson)
How they stack up: TravelPerk vs. TravelBank
- Reviewers have found TravelPerk to be easy to use, set up and manage.
- Reviewers felt that TravelPerk served their business needs better than TravelBank.
- Reviewers felt that Travelpark offers better customer service when comparing the two.
You may not have heard of Egencia, but we’re sure you’ve heard of its (former) parent company Expedia. The business boasts that it offers travelers “unmatched value, choice and experience”. The company is backed by American Express Global Business Travel (AMEX), giving it global reach.
The platform is focused on managers who want to maximize ROI for business travel rather than offering travelers the widest choice of suppliers and accommodations. It supports six languages and can be used in more than 60 countries, including the US, Europe and Asia.
Egencia essential features
- Access to well-known brands that partner with Expedia
- Easy to recover and pay VAT.
- Backed by AMEX to provide scale and security.
- Easy API integration with existing systems, platforms and processes.
How they stack up: Egencia vs. TravelBank
- Users feel that Egencia is easier to use than Travelbank.
- The platform further trains users to use the platform.
- Reviewers suggest that TravelBank offers better customer service.
- More people were willing to recommend Egencia than Travelbank (although the sample size was smaller).
What Reviewers Say:
“Overall, Egencia is a good tool for my staff to use when I (or my work partner) aren’t available to make reservations. They can easily access their account and charges will go to the corporate credit card. It’s handy all around for traveling staff.”
Patricia Davis, Office Manager
“The customer service was horrible. It was a running joke that when we had to call customer service for something (frequently), it was a crap-shoot that we were going to get someone who knew what they were doing.”
Jessica Fish, Executive Assistant
3. SAP agrees
SAP Concur is an expense management app with a travel component. It’s developed and supported by the world’s leading accountancy software provider, so it’s no surprise that financial control features are on offer here. SAP Concur claims to have 46,000 users worldwide and markets itself as a solution for financial professionals.
The platform uses a range of approved suppliers, with your policy rules built-in. Why is this important? Finance managers have more control over the process, which means policies will be followed to the letter (which every accountant prefers).
As you would expect from an accountancy provider, it focuses on statistics and integrates well with the finance package.
SAP Concur essential features
- Provides excellent visibility of travel and expense data for financial managers.
- Ensures all bookings comply with policy while maintaining budget.
- SAP’s Concur Expense automates expense tasks, making them faster and more accurate
- SAP Concur can be integrated with ERP to provide a 360-degree view of business finances.
- Built-in SAP Expenses enables users to quickly create rules to classify and approve employee expenses. Users can use the mobile app.
What Reviewers Say:
“I would recommend this software to anyone trying to save time and money on travel and expense management.”
Kunal, D. Reviewer
“When you have to enter information, it’s painful. The interface looks old and clunky, and adding photos and receipts is an unnecessarily difficult process due to poor thumbnails and image viewing.”
Mark. T, reviewer
How They Stack Up: SAP Concur vs TravelBank
- SAP Concur provides excellent financial control, enabling finance managers to track travel expenses.
- The interface and experience is less engaging than TravelBank.
- The platform boasts an online knowledge base and helpful videos, which TravelBank does not offer.
CWT is one of the oldest travel management companies around. You can use the software to arrange travel to more than 140 countries, for example, more than double those covered with Egencia.
The software integrates with RoomIT, offering users a choice of nearly one million properties. Like all providers, it aims to help you get the best value, describing it as a “budget-friendly trip without compromising convenience and comfort”.
Financial controllers and managers will love the platform’s analytics and reporting tools.
CWT essential features
- Dedicated hotel management and booking integration enables you to streamline room reservations.
- Users can seek assistance from expert consultants for advice and guidance while booking travel.
- AnalytIQs provides reporting and visualization capabilities to monitor and manage costs
- The platform enables organizations to assess the environmental impact of travel choices using ECO – its employee welfare, climate impact, and organizational performance frameworks.
What Reviewers Say:
“CWT booked all our travel (both domestic and international) when I worked as a Senior Administrative Officer in the South Australian Government Department and was responsible for booking all travel for a team of 170 staff.”
Tracey Lee-C, Marketing Consultant
“The system is complex, not user-friendly, and often lists flight prices at higher costs than on the airline’s website.”
Lorraine J, Delivery Consultant
How they stack up: CWT vs TravelBank
- CWT is a bit of a giant in the field, with the reach to back it up. TravelBank is a newcomer, but that doesn’t mean it’s an immediate outlier.
- Travelbank offers an attractive incentive system, encouraging and rewarding employees to make cheaper choices.
- TravelBank enables 24/7 customer communication through channels like Slack, whereas CWT uses traditional – and slower – channels. This will be important in an emergency.
5. Travel BCD
BCD Travel aims to increase business travel ROI through innovative new technologies and integrations. The company is bigger than TravelBank, but does that scale translate into better service?
The business focuses on serving mid-sized businesses and larger players. Developers will love the easy API integration, and offers a range of innovative support tools to keep budget holders informed and in control.
BCD travel essential features
- BCD Alert provides real-time threat notifications to keep workers safe wherever they are in the world.
- The website features really helpful guides and information targeting users and sectors.
- BCD’s partners include Lumo and AirHelp. They can use real-time information to predict disruptions and delays to travelers, making travel faster and smarter.
- COVID-19 Information Hub: Helps organizations make better travel decisions with up-to-date COVID-19-related information.
- Using BCD’s DecisionSource tool, users can analyze department spend and track key metrics to stay on top of budget.
- You can use BCD Travel’s BCD Pay to track total travel expenses, providing an important snapshot of expenses.
What Reviewers Say:
There are no third party reviews of BCD Travel online.
How they stack up: BCD vs TravelBank
- Like TravelBank’s incentive schemes, BCD Travel’s TripSource helps organizations reduce travel costs and encourage better traveler behavior.
- Intelligent integration with Lumo and AirHelp can help travelers optimize their time and streamline journeys.
- Companies booking travel through BCD can offset carbon using GreenSeat, which you can’t do with TravelBank.
So, which travelbank option is best?
COVID-19 stopped business travel in its tracks, but today we have to travel for business more and more. Regardless of the size of your business or sector, the fastest, cheapest and most efficient way to arrange business travel is by using a travel management company.
Consumers and companies are spoiled for choice, but as we saw in our review of the 5 best travelbank alternatives, not all travel management providers are created equal. If you’re considering an alternative to TravelBank, choose TravelPerk. You get access to the world’s best business travel inventory, 24/7 support and total transparency on costs.
Do you want to experience the future of business travel? Contact us today for a free demo.